Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thank You Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin via Twitter:
"Thank You, America/Thank You, Candidates" message! Shake it up!"@Newsmax_Media: Sarah Palin Releases Post-Election Ad http://bit.ly/cvEDYd"


No one in politics has worked harder than Sarah Palin. Since her arrival on the American scene in August 2008, she has pounded the pavement, the keyboard and television studio desks in Wasilla and on Fox News. She has given speeches, stumped for candidates, headlined fundraisers and mixed it up with the Left. Despite their arrows, she goes straight on, fearless to their vicious attacks, smears and lies. Sarah Palin is a warrior.

She has given so much to the cause. In fact, she revived the cause for this blogger. On August 28, 2008, I told friends that we were at the end of America as we knew it. Standing on the precipice of an Obama presidency, I never felt worse about the political future of the country.

On August 29, 2008, it was becoming more and more apparent that Sarah Palin was the VP pick. I researched her. I watched the Fox News Alert pop up on the screen. I prepared to listen to McCain announce her on my lunch break.

My opinion? This is too good to be true.

Rush Limbaugh covered the introduction. His excitement and enthusiasm matched mine as I listened on my car radio. I said to myself "no way."

A few days later I watched "the speech" at the Republican National Convention. I saw something that I have only seen on the video tapes of Ronald Reagan's 1976 and 1980 convention speeches (I'd been watching them and others since he passed in June 2004). It was the faces and the eyes of the people at the 2008 RNC. They looked just like the people in the Reagan crowds.

I experienced the despair of watching Bill Clinton win the election in 1992. But nothing - no despair, no hopelessness for my country - was ever as deep as it was the day before John McCain, foot soldier to the last great one, introduced us to our next great one.

Two and a half years ago, I thought I was watching my country falling off the edge and heading down that road to a thousand years of darkness that Reagan had warned us of. Then she came along. Since then, I have never been more optimistic about my country's future. I have never felt as confident about our ability to return to that "Shining City on a Hill" as I do now.

With her on the ticket, I had hope again. I got active. I went to the campaign office and made phone calls on lunch. I sent emails to everyone I knew (this was the pre blog days for me). I told everyone that she was the next great one. Some agreed. Some laughed. But I knew. No media smear campaign, no peer pressure, no ignorant partisan could get me to think otherwise.

What she has done over the last two years to overcome the 2008 loss, to pull the plug on the frivolous ethics violations campaign against her as governor, to take control of her message and to get beyond the nonsense of the caricature the media tried to portray her as, is simply amazing. What she has done for the cause is monumental.

So as I read her tweet again and as she thanks America, I say:

"No. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment