Thursday, July 23, 2009

Unchained

Change, nothin' stays the same
Unchained, and ya hit the ground runnin'
Change, ain't nothin' stays the same
Unchained, yeah ya hit the ground runnin'

I know, I don't ask for permission
This is my chance to fly
Maybe enough ain't enough for you
But it's my turn at a try

-Unchained by Van Halen





Singing With Sarah Palin

I'm the guy with the dual degree in Literature and Political Science. I took literature because I wanted to understand the lyrics to Rush and Pink Floyd songs. I took political science because I wanted to learn more about Reagan and conservatism. And when both sides of my brain meet, it can get pretty esoteric at times.

Take yesterday for example. I went to the Asia / Yes concert here in Richmond, VA. There is an Asia song Sole Survivor that reminds me of Sarah Palin and there is a Yes song Machine Messiah that reminds me of Barack Obama.

Last night, John Wetton and I belted out these words for Sarah:

And from the wreckage I will arise
Cast the ashes back in their eyes
See the fire, I will defend
Just keep on burning right to the end

Last night, Chris Squire and I belted out these words for Barack:

Machine, Messiah
The mindless
Search for a higher Controller
Take me to the fire
And hold me
Show me the strength of your
Singular eye.

Bear with me as I duct tape the rest of my head back together. "Machine Messiah" is a rare live play for Yes. As concerts go, I hit the jackpot when they played it.

Yesterday, I tweeted about the two songs I mentioned above. Today, I saw this tweet from last night:

Detroit Down" & "Rollin": "Aint gonna shut my mouth/I know there's got to be a few hundred million more like me/just trying to keep it free" (the Detroit Down part was finishing up from a previous tweet)

Guess who tweeted it? Look here. The lyrics are here.

Get me the duct tape. My head just exploded again.

When I hear certain lyrics, I think of her. When she hears certain lyrics, she thinks of us.

On July 26th, Sarah Palin becomes unchained. She will be able to speak freely and join the "few hundred million more like her."

For those about to rock, we salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment